Monday 27 February 2012

The Descendants


Reviewed by Danny the Demented
Updated 27 February 2012


Finally the drought is over and in comes "The Descendants" to save the day. If this movie doesn't warm your heart, then you are "as cold as ice" (I miss Gob). Oh and hey George Clooney, HEY George, I am talking you. Yeah that's right, I want to have your baby, you heard me. I know me being a man makes it impossible but if Adidas has taught us anything over the years it's that IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING! 

"The Descendants" is the story of Matt King (George Clooney), a lawyer and descendant of a royal family in Hawaii. He is the sole trustee of a large chunk of pristine land owned by his family and is on the verge of a land deal that will make him and his desperate cousins millions. However, while dealing with the family matter, his wife got into a boating accident and is going to die. Initially devastated, Matt becomes enraged when his daughter Alex (Shailene Woodley) told him that his wife was cheating on him. With his life filled with grief, anger, chaos and uncertainty, Matt must learn to embrace the power of forgiveness and find peace and joy in the bond he and his daughters share. Damn I am good. 



After the brilliant "Sideways" (the best ending of all time and I challenge anyone to tell me different), Alexander Payne proves again he is a master storyteller. Unlike most Hollywood directors nowadays, Payne is unafraid to spend time on character development and devote a great amount of energy in making his creations believable and relatable (I am looking at you Michael "I blow things up" Bay). Payne trusts his script and cast enough to let them run the necessary courses to progress. Nothing in the film feels forced and every emotion is genuine. The growth and depth of all characters are organic and not a single person, place or thing is out of order. When the bond between Matt and his daughter is established, you know exactly when that is and you cannot help but be in awe at the masterstroke you've just witness on screen, and sigh "now THAT is storytelling". 

George Clooney is just a force, what more can I say about this guy? I mean I already admitted I want to have his baby (only not in a gay way.....whhhhha?). Looking at him is a show in and of itself. He reveals so much emotions and feelings it's heartbreaking yet fascinating to watch. He still does his typical George Clooney head bow-and-tilt thing (if you've seen him enough, you'd know what I am talking about) but it works perfectly every time. Shailene Woodley does a commendable job as the rebellious Alex. Even the comedy relief Sid (Nick Krause) became more than just a laugh as the film progressed. A remarkable growth to witness on screen. 

An absolute delight to watch, "The Descendants" is a powerhouse handled with great care and calculated control. Alexander Payne, you've made a believer out of me. My name is Danny and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment