Tuesday 10 January 2012

Lebanese Food, FRIGG'N AWESOME!!


Written by Ruey of The Ruey Review
Updated 10 January 2012

This place was frigg’n AWESOME!! That pretty much sums up my piece about my first Lebanese meal.

Near the end of 2011 I had the privilege of meeting my friend’s boyfriend, who is a Lebanese. We were deciding what to eat for dinner, and instead of heading to China town like I always do when meeting up with my Taiwanese friends in London (to clarify, Taiwanese food is not Chinese food, they also have Japanese and Korean restaurants in China town right?), I suggested we head for some Lebanese food. Nassim, my new Lebanese friend was very excited and enthusiastic about taking us to try the healthy, and tasty food of his homeland.
Maroush, the name of the restaurant, I ain't lying

For this meal we headed to a tube station called Edgware Road. Beware, there are two very close stations of the same name!!  I don’t know how the London city planners allowed such ridiculous error to occur. After having gone to the wrong Edgware Road station, we went to the Edgware Road station on the Bakerloo line. We were in Arab town.

The restaurant was called Maroush, and according to Nassim’s friends, it is the best Lebanese restaurant in London. This claim was supported by the near 30 minutes queue before we were seated. The food did not disappoint and was well worth the wait!!


I was told before entering the restaurant that Lebanese food is very very healthy and does not make you fat. When the appetizers came onto the table, man, they really look healthy. Everything was made out of beans, vegetables, spices, some rice, and more beans. They were also extremely sour. However, with some Lebanese pita bread, they were really good to the mouth and definitely opened up our appetite for the meat in the main dishes that were about to arrive. Before we get into the main dish, I just need to say, “hommos... yummm... HOMMOS!!!”

Hommos... Hommos... Yummmm~
Okay, now to the main dishes. We ordered nothing but lamb dishes because me and my friend had three full chickens just two nights before, and the only meats they serve in the restaurant are lamb and chicken. I don’t remember the name of the dishes but man were they good. I could not believe how tender such huge meat chunks can be from the inside and out. The meat was so evenly roasted, every square millimeter of it was cooked and soft at the same time. The curry tasted great as well. They also put yogurt on top of everything, which is a really nice touch. I was in heaven. I was full pretty early on, but I continued to eat just so I can eat some more of the dish I liked and try some more of the dish I knew I would have liked. That tells you just how much I enjoyed this meal.

Look at that meat!! Super tender grilled lamb and yogurt
covered lamb meat. The yogurt lamb, especially, goes
very well with rice. I was in heaven.
If you are ever in London, definitely check out “The Maroush” at the Edgware Road station on the Bakerloo line. Try anything with grilled lamb, curry, and yogurt for your main dish, and you won’t be disappointed. Before you go there though, remember to order some hommos, HO~~~MMOS~~~!!!

Here is the link to the restaurant :) http://www.maroush.com/locations

No comments:

Post a Comment