Monday 30 July 2012

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)


Reviewed by Danny the Demented
Updated July 30 2012

The start of it all, the ultimate comedy, the original of the originals. These are the only descriptions worthy for arguably the funniest movie ever made."Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is the triumph, the victory, or perhaps more fittingly, the holy grail that every comedians should aim to achieve. 

Written, directed, and performed by the legendary British comedy group Monthy Python, the film follows King Arthur and his knights of the round table on their quest to seek the holiest of grails. On the journey the band of warriors encounters a castle full of desperate women, faces off with a group of French soldiers who must have majored in the art of taunting back in college, assaulted a wedding and subsequently killing almost everyone, burned a witch, met an enchanter named Tim, and battled a beast so foul and so cruel it will leave you in tears with nasty, pointy teethThe tale is as old as time, but the telling of the story, even 37 years later, is still as fresh as mentos. Unbelievably funny, this film is the embodiment of everything that makes us laugh and giggle. Sure we never did get to see the round table itself or Camelot for that matter(just as well, it is a silly place; see if you saw this movie already you'd get the joke), and much of the movie doesn't make sense logically. But director Terry Gilliam and the geniuses in Monty Python managed to turn a bunch of nonsense into something that is bizarrely sensible in this ridiculous world they created. When Sir Lancelot (John Cleese) stormed a castle by himself, you don't feel absurd but rather assured. When King Arthur battled the black knight, you don't see irrationalities but comedic probabilities. When Sir Bedevere (Terry Jones) educated a mob on witches, you don't feel cheated but you are almost led into believing that what he said really is how you identify a witch...the list goes on and on. A genuine masterpiece, this film is a must see if you love comedy.


I've limited the movie clips to only one in this review because I don't want to ruin the experience for you. But oh kids there are so many things I wanted to show you (the holy hand grenade, the knights who say "Ni!", the historian and the riding knight, the bridge of death, the relentless Black Knight....). There will be plenty more Michael Bay explosion extravaganzas before the world see another magnum opus like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Go rent it, borrow it, or beg for it if you have to, this one is a must see. Definitely rated as awesome, your world will be brighten within 1 min into the film. Oh and children, just wait till you see their horses, just you wait. My name is Danny and I endorse this message. 

2 comments:

  1. Wait a minute, you wrote this for young people! You're trying to help them! Argh!

    All you're missing is a mention of the musical genius that is Sir Robin's bard, and "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!", and the illustrator... <3
    Actually, as a film critic, don't you need to point out some flaws, too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've been surrounded by youth for so long that I figure I might as well help then otherwise I'd be doing a disservice to myself. And I like myself, most of the time.

      This film sure brings back a lot of memory. Help Help I'm being oppressed bit was one of my favorite.

      I loved this movie too much to bash it in anyway, besides, I need the youngsters to go and see this lah!

      Delete