Sunday 18 December 2011

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol


Reviewed by Danny the Demented
Updated 19 December 2011


Perhaps Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) was never told the meaning of the word "impossible", because if his missions were indeed impossible, then the franchise wouldn't have sprung 4 movies. Seriously, Ethan, your missions are more "improbable" (perhaps "very difficult"), no? but I digress.

Nevertheless, a treat this movie was. Mr.Cruise aka The Couch Man is back as super agent Ethan Hunt and once again faces a threat so terrifying that if he fails, the world will end, and it's not even 2012 yet! (Mayans protest: heyyyyyyyy!). The formula is an oldie: Hunt is knee deep in some serious earth-shattering crap and will bring his team to locations after locations to retrieve stuffs that are supposed to be heavily guarded only not so much after one of his team member hacks the allegedly impenetrable security system and then it's BING-BAM-BOM easy peasy japanesey Sounds familiar? Along the way Ethan performs some very difficult acrobatic moves as well as operates some very impressive gadgets. And he gets the girl at the end. Someone pay me millions to write screenplays, please. 

Yes this movie follows a formula and yes it offers no surprises but SO WHAT? It's a formula that needs no fixing, I say let them milk it till the last drop. Tom Cruise with his trademark smile is as good a hero as any, even if he plays the hero role the same way every time. Don't believe me? Tell me how his character in "Knight and Day" differs from Ethan Hunt (even the back-story is similar!!!!).....yeah I didnt think so. New to the earth saving ride this time is Jeremy Renner ("Hurt Locker", "The Town"). I haven't made up my mind about this guy yet, but if he is in a movie, I wanna watch. Definitely a force on the silver-screen and I suspect great things are potentially on the horizon for this up & comer. Everyone else is satisfactory but I have to mention Léa Seydoux. Why? because she is HOT, that's worthy of a mention and don't you dare tell me different. 

A great time at the theater, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is undoubtedly a hit that lives up to the hype and by far the best MI movie out of the four to date. Guns, explosions, crazy stunts and lots of running, what's not to like? With a coherent (not great, mind you) storyline, everything in this blockbuster stands out. It's not going to win any awards (no the MTV Movie Award is not a real award, kids) but it's a guarantee fun-for-all 2 hours on a breezy weekend. Oh, and guys, wait till you see the car, wait till you see the freaking car.  My name is Danny and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment